Friday, April 15, 2005

On shifting gears

For 10 years, I have been driving. Apol & Chichay taught me. It was behind my parents back. They were out of the country. I was only 16 then. My ninong (Apol’s dad) took the liberty of getting us a Student driver license. I was addicted. Every night I would steal the car’s key and drive around the village. Unlike regular sissy students, I learned how to drive using a van. Manual and with broken hand brake. My mom learned eventually and rebuke my ninong. She said I’m too young for the responsibilities attached to driving.

After college, I am more free to go to places. Bring my own transpo. A lot have happened since then. Nevermind the numerous encounters with policemen. Stopping me just to ask if I have a legal driver’s license (Sigurado ka bang legal to? Opo Sir. Ilang taon ka na ba? Ang bata-bata mo pa nagdadrive ka na. Sir 21 na po ako, nagtatrabaho na po ako). Or if I’m using the seatbelt (because I deliberately not wear them the normal way). There were some experiences worth forgetting. They seemed like nightmares and I prefer to shift-delete them. It is true that with driving, you’re not only responsible to your own self nor your car. There are countless situations wherein one can never be prepared, regardless how many years you’ve been shifting the gears.

Some may think that driving, or showing off your wheels is a pogi-point. It’s something they brag about. These people I presume, are the ones who have a fairy godmother. Someone who can take them out of the mess with a blink of an eye.

On the lighter side, there’s joy in driving. Especially when you’re in good company. Tagaytay is the best hang out place. Or the Starbucks in South Luzon expressway. More often than not, I just drive then when we reach the place, I sleep in the car. Hehe.

“I look at him and have to smile
As we go driving for a while”


There are times when there’s only me… and my passenger. And I would be contented that amidst the traffic, I’ve someone to talk to. Or dance kulit steps with. There’s someone who’ll keep me awake so I can safely get home.

“as we go, I see the lights,
i watch them glimmer in his eyes
in the darkness of the evening”


I wonder when is my chance to be in the passenger’s seat. Because while driving is my pleasure, I’m sure I’d love the feeling of just relaxing or taking a nap or simply being the one referred to by that famous Stephen Speaks song….

“I've got all that I need
Right here in the passenger seat.”


* Potpot karting @ Genting, Malaysia *

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yakang yaka mo yan sis. kahit nakapikit pa mata mo. 5 mins lang matututo ka na hehehe.

Anonymous said...

pots...bat di mo nilagay yong 140kph mo..and driving while sleeping..he..he..he.. _ ate jacq

_emanon_ said...

20 eggnogs... hehehe

Apols said...

kilala ko ung kasama mo dito ah...ung kumukuha ng pix! :D
magbago ka na warfreak ka magdrive eh!

Anonymous said...

lam mo ba kung bakit di tau sabay nag-karting nyan?? kasi isa lang sa atin ang me rubbershoes! kaya hiraman na lang bwahaha. kulit ni apol sa malaysia.